- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California
- Masters, Computer Science, University of Southern California
- Masters, Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California
- Bachelors, Electrical Engineering, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas
Erick Moen is a Postdoctoral Research Associate with both the Center for Cyber-Physical Systems and the Internet of Things (CCI) as well as the Integrated Media Systems Center (IMSC) at the University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles, CA. He received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering – Electrophysics from USC, where he was named a Ming Hsieh Institute Scholar (awarded to the top PhD students in the department). Dr. Moen also holds M.S. degrees in both Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (with an emphasis in High-Performance Computing) from USC. He completed his undergraduate education at Texas Christian University (TCU) in Electrical Engineering. Prior to entering graduate school, he converted a Porsche 914 into a rolling testbed for electric vehicle research and spent time in industry as a principal of a building design and engineering firm.
Dr. Moen is a multidisciplinary scientist interested in developing new ways to measure and understand biology through nonlinear optics, high-performance computing, and virtual reality. Over the past six years he established several powerful tools to investigate how biological systems respond to stimuli. This work included the development of a novel nonlinear optical measurement technique to rapidly detect subtle changes in cell membrane structure as well as a multi-faceted virtual reality (VR) suite for immersive scientific computing and data visualization. In addition to Dr. Moen’s primary lines of research, his interests extend to resonator physics, sensor technology, and artificial intelligence. This unique blend of specialties allows Dr. Moen to engage in broad, translational research endeavors involving multi-scale biological systems, data science, and autonomous systems.
- 2016 Ming Hsieh Institute Scholar
- 2014 ORISE Graduate Student Research Fellowship
- 2013 ARCS Foundation Fellowship
- 2011 USC Viterbi School of Engineering Merit Award